In preparation for Eli's arrival, we have been trying to get Preston used to the idea of no longer being an only child, ha! I realize he is a dog, but he is a thoroughly spoiled one at that. I want to make the adjustment to having a baby in the house as smooth as possible for him. I realize there will be some jealousy issues, but we are hoping to make things easier for him in some way. I asked my friend, Casey, for advice on this subject, and she had some great ideas. I asked her if she minded me posting her helpful information, and she told me to go for it:
Tips for Introducing A New Baby to Your Dog
By Casey Largent
- A dog’s most important sense is smell – get out all of the baby powder, baby oil, baby shampoo, and baby laundry detergent you will be using, and let your dog smell it
- Let him sniff the baby furniture, etc.
- Buy a life size baby doll:
- Wash the baby’s scalp with the baby shampoo, so it can smell like the baby
- Wrap the doll in the blanket that you plan to use
- Carry the doll around the house with you
- When you buy a car seat, put the doll in the car seat, and let your dog ride in the car with it, if your dog travels in the car with you
- Put the doll in the crib, etc. Download a clip of a baby crying, put it on your iPod. Place the iPod in the crib with the doll, and let it play for a few minutes with your dog in the room and out of the room
- If you’re sitting down, watching a movie, for example, put the doll next to you or next to the couch on a blanket
- If your dog makes contact with the doll with his mouth or his nails, that will most likely happen later in real life. So, it is best to correct the behavior now before the baby arrives.
- If your dog reacts positively, reward with treats
- If he acts calm, doesn’t jump, bark, etc., then he gets a treat
- Doing all of these things prior to the baby’s arrival will allow your dog to already be used to everything, especially the smells. It will make the transition of a new baby with the dog much easier.
We have nearly completed her list of "tests," and Preston has done well. He has spent lots of time in the nursery, sniffed everything out, and heard the crying baby sound we recorded. We also took him with us for a test run around the block with the stroller. I even have a faux baby Eli:
Do you like faux Eli's outfit? I thought it was appropriate, with the dog paws, and all. The doll itself once belonged to my cousin, I think? Anyway, I've roughed the poor thing up, and Preston has done no damage so far. The doll has these arms that move, and I accidentally pulled one out of it's "socket." Oops. Guess I am the one who needs training :)
Next on our agenda is getting Preston accustomed to riding in the car next to a car seat, and putting the play gym on the floor, getting him to hopefully understand it's not for him. I realize it will be much different with an actual baby around (for all of us, not just Preston). But, I don't see any harm in at least trying to get him acclimated. Just 5 more weeks, and the real Eli will take faux's place. I am really excited!

3 comments:
What great ideas. Glad Preston is passing the test so far. Can't wait to see Eli.
How funny! Glad Preston is passing his tests. He is such a pretty dog. Can't believe you only have a few weeks to go!
That Casey is full of useful canine tips... she should write a book! Preston is sweet. I'm sure you'll have no trouble with he and the baby.
Post a Comment