October 18, 2008

I'm Back

What a wishy washy thing for me to say that I was not going to blog anymore. Let me rephrase - I'm going to blog less frequently. After many phone calls from my mom saying, hey, go look at my blog, I began to miss blogging. With Halloween coming up, it would be a shame not to blog about Preston's costume. I've made it through the first nine weeks of school, and it will not hurt to blog every once in a while. So, I'm back.

My mom and I went to OSU last night to sell food at a booth for my brother's frat. It was actually a lot of fun. I wore my protective Sooner red jacket, which helped me feel less ill looking out at the sea of orange. J/K, it wasn't that bad...I did wear the jacket, though. Here is Tyler and me in front of his frat house, Beta.

OSU's Homecoming is a big deal - each of the fraternity and sorority houses have these elaborate theme displays made by the students. They have all night pomp parties, and work endlessly. Tyler's frat hires a band instead of making a display; smart move, I think. Still, the displays are amazing.

1. This one gets the award for Best Theme (not an official award, just an award from me):


Everything was 80's...This was the Fiji/Kappa display. Notice the polaroid camera? It said "Fiji Film" instead of Fuji. The photo coming out of the camera moved in and out.


The Tetris piece also moved up and down.


I loved the old school Nike, the keytar, and the Nintendo controller.


2. Next, the award for Best Pomping goes to Indiana Jones and the Temple of Boone. Look at Indie's face!


3. Best Design goes to 008 - Orange Never Dies. Look at how giant these displays are. You can see the frat behind it; incredible!




4. This one gets the Best Use of Engineering award. The pages of the book turned.


The root beer poured from the can into the mug.




And the Baylor Bear popped out of the trunk, all tied up.


They also had Pistol Pete doing a self portrait. I thought that was really clever.


5. Last, but not least, this one wins Best Overall Execution. (Zeta Tau Alpha and Pie Kappa Alpha? I'm sure Tyler would know. The whole Greek thing is unfamiliar territory for this Sooner Girl)















The colors they chose, the season theme used, and the seamless motion of the book made this display the best. The giant book pages moved, and they had variety with the mixing of flat and 3-dimensional forms. It was awesome.

Oh, and my mom bought me a really cute purse and wallet from The Purse Lady:

It reminds of something that Korto (Project Runway) would design.

EDIT: Thanks for the compliment on the glasses, Laura! The purse and glasses both came from the Purse Lady. Her website is www.purse-a-nality.com

6 comments:

Pambo said...

Ashlee, I think it's actually "Pi" like the horrible math thing not the dessert delicacy. Glad you're blogging again and I love the frat/sorority homecoming displays. It was a good time in a strange place! I have to say that OSU knows how to do the homecoming thing. It was like a huge carnival. It was awesome! Thanks for coming and helping me sell food for Tyler's fraternity.

Cindy Kirkpatrick said...

YEAH!!! I was hoping you wouldn't stay gone for long! We have missed you and glad you are back! The homecoming pics are awesome. My sister and her husband Scott are OSU allums and were planning on going to Stillwater last night, but didn't end up going. I was so excited when I saw all of your pics, I called my sister and told her to check them all out.

Stacy said...

I am glad you are back but I do ask Jason about how you are doing once a week. Miss ya!
That is very neat and how nice of you to help out the bro!
Hey can you come take head shots of my kids and make those pictures we talked about last year please! I know you are busy so just let me know. I am in no hurry they are for me but I really do want them!
Till next time take care.

laura said...

Love your glasses! Super cute... you'll have to tell me where you got them oh And cute bag!!!

Anonymous said...

Glad to see that you're back, even if it's not very often. Glad you had a good time at the dreaded OSU campus. Ha ha. Yea, the displays are always really cool to walk around and look at. Can't wait to see pics of Preston's costume!!!

Happy Trails said...

It was fun seeing your pictures of OSU stuff, I'm sure it's hard to handle sometimes, all that orange, but we can tolerate a lot of things for the ones we love. I'm glad Tyler is enjoying his first year of college, hopefully he is also finding some time to study.