April 14, 2009

A Walk to Remember

Although I'd rather forget! The weather was so nice today, and I was really looking forward to taking Preston for his walk. Normally, we walk right after school together. Since it was so nice, I decided we would wait for Jason. I am so glad we did!

I was just talking to Jason about how Preston normally is on the defense when it's just him and me walking (i.e. fur raises on his neck when he hears other dogs barking). However, when Jason is with us, he seems more at ease.

Moments later, an off leash English Bull Terrior (same breed as the Target brand dog) comes after Preston. His owner was slow cooking outside and had his dog in the (open) garage with him. He tried to get him off of Preston, but not fast enough for my liking. After Jason pried the dog away, the owner explained that he is friendly. I don't care. He should have been on a leash.

After that little incident, we continued our walk. A few minutes later, two black labs approached us, running loose through the streets. Both labs had collars, but it didn't put my mind at ease as they raced toward us. Jason rounded them up as I tried to walk the other direction with Preston toward home. I wanted to run, but I knew that would make things worse. Thankfully, Jason got the dogs to go away. What a relief! We were done. Walk over.

So much for trying to enjoy the weather. I am still all anxious from the whole thing. My mind raced back to my mom's dog, Minnie, when she was attacked. I realize that Preston is a big dog, and he would be able to take a lot more if, God forbid, he was attacked. I just would rather it not come to that. People, please keep your dogs on leashes in public!

4 comments:

Katie said...

Amen!! I'm glad Preston was okay.

Pambo said...

Grrr! Nobody messes with my granddog!
I think we are both a little high strung when it comes to our dog's safety after Minnie's unfortunate dog park incident. My dogs stay within the security of the privacy fenced back yard and inside the house. I couldn't handle another dog attack.

Stacy said...

Totally agree and makes me nervous with my kids too they think all dogs are nice!

Anonymous said...

We have the same problem in our neighboorhood. A few weeks ago when I was walking the two dogs (alone), a husky came running up to us, and then a few yard down the street, a Chihuahua came nipping at our ankles. Luckily, the both soon lost interest as we turned and slowly walked away. Stupid people who don't keep their dogs on leashes while they're out should not have dogs. When we lived in Stillwater, a neighbor's Dachshund attacked Roman. Bit into his legs, and we had to make a trip to the vet. I was SO mad at that neighbor after that. It makes me nervous to walk the dogs anymore because you never know what off-leash dog is waiting for you around the corner.

Glad that Prest-O is okay. Good think Jason was there to save the day.