We had a blast in Big D! It was such a fun time. It was great to hang out with my mom and Kristen. The Nasher Sculpture Center was my favorite.


I knew this place was going to be great the moment I walked in and saw a Jeff Koons. Exciting!

Jeff Koons, Louis XIV, 1986

Jean Dubuffet, Tower of Lace, 1973

Alexander Calder, The Spider, 1940
My mom did not care for the Picasso's. He's a little overrated, but I like his work.

Pablo Picasso, Head of a Woman, 1958
The Crow Collection of Asian Art was a surprisingly interesting, free museum. Normally, Asian art is not my favorite (it is hard to tell if it was done yesterday or hundreds of years ago, very rooted in tradition, which is fine, just not my favorite). However, I can appreciate it. There were some nice works inside...


...such as this, Butterflies Take Flight, origami created by area elementary school students.

Cool shadows of the origami cast on the tile from the light streaming inside the glass overpass.

Amazingly intricate Japanese quilts...

Chiaki Dosho, Cherry Blossom V, 2006

Detail shot. I love the cutouts and ribbon used.

Noriko Hayashi, My Dream of White, 2006

Detail shot of all the tiny people, incredible.

I love all of the variety used in My Dream of White. Every inch can be broken down to appear as an abstract painting.

I wonder where Tyler gets his signature photo poses from?
I was hyped up to go to the DMA. Great art, great food (which I'll write about later). However, unfriendly, rude security, uninformed employees, and unorganized entrances left me with a bad taste for this place.

The art sort of made up for it though. I drooled over this Jackson Pollock work.

Jackson Pollock, Portrait and a Dream, 1953

Detail shot...love that thick paint.
Speaking of thick paint, check out this Hans Hofmann delight. My mom did not care too much for it. Kristen and I liked it. What a great thing art is: open to interpretation, discussion, controversy. Everyone has their own opinion, and it's okay; that's what I love.

Hans Hofmann, Red and Blue Harmony, 1956
This was a much needed humorous painting among the doldrums of an overrated painting era. The museum plaque explained, "In the corner of a dimly lit hall, several animals have gathered around an ass dressed in scholar's robes who acts as the professor at this mock academic gathering. Surrounded by symbolic objects, each animal represents a particular act, craft, or human pursuit..."

Cornelis Saftleven (1607-1681), College of Animals, date not stated
And, then, my favorite from the museum, CHIHULY!

Dale Chihuly, Hart Window, 1995


2 comments:
Love the Chihuly window photos. Glad you had your good camera that day.
Should have included a photo of the painting I could have done. Ha!
OOh, I love the bamboo at the entrance to the Nasher Sculpture Museum. I hope you thought of me. :)
I love The Spider sculpture by Calder. Very cool.
Have you shared these photos with your art students?
Hey, I thought you guys did some shopping down there too? Where are the pics of the stuff you bought?
Post a Comment