February 23, 2009

Restaurant Review: Simply Sushi - Sushi Bar and More


I was aching to try Simply Sushi from the moment I saw the coming soon signs in the storefront. Sushi in Owasso is a dangerous attempt, one that I admire. I have seen many a good restaurant go down because Owasso wasn't ready for or couldn't handle it's coolness (3 Tomatoes and a Mozzarrella being a great example of this). The economy does not help the situation, either.

I was worried when I saw that Simply's hours were a little, well, granny-ish. Who closes at 8 pm? Luckily, they have extended their weekend hours just a tad, and are open to the wild and crazy 9 pm. I'll take it.

Let me preface this review in saying that I have been to Simply Sushi (SS) many times now, and I would go there once a week if Jason were down for that arrangement. He like SS, too, just not as much as I do. On to the review:

Atmosphere: 2 out of 5 stars. I am a little torn about this one. I am thinking SS did a smart thing in not investing too much into the decor. At the same time, I like a little bit of shi-shi around me when I eat out. If you are looking for shi-shi, I suggest you go to In the Raw. They are as it-spot as it gets. I hate In the Raw, though. I am just not into making sushi a big social who-haw. No thank you. However, SS needs to take a cue from ItheR in this area. I don't even know where to start. There is no atmosphere. Everything is very hole in the wall. But, sit at the bar, and talk to the sushi makers, and it is fun. That's all I have to say about the atmoshphere.

Service: 4 out of 5 stars.
From what I gather, SS is family owned, or at least the staff acts as though they are family. Which is nice. Every time I eat there, I am treated very well. All of the staff are knowledgeable of the menu, kind, and friendly, without sugar coating anything.

Food: 5 out of 5 stars. Do you know what it takes to earn 5 out of 5 from me? A lot. I could go on and on about the food, but let me just list everything I have eaten there, and things you should eat, too.

Appetizers:
Cucumber Salad (do try...the dehydrated fish oil dressing sounds unpleasant, but it will blow your mind)
Edamame

Entrees:

The Spicy Crazy Jess Roll
The Spicy St. George Roll
The Spicy Spider Roll
Nigiri Tuna

Desserts:
Classic Cheesecake Roll
Touched by an Angel Roll (it was better when they made this with chocolate...they changed it to strawberry)
Peanut Butter and Jelly Roll

Don't judge; I told you I have been there quite a bit. If you go with more than one person, I suggest going with people who you don't mind sharing food with (i.e. no double-dippers). Then, you can order several things off the menu, and eat them all.

Also, even if you are not into sushi, SS has some delectable items hot off the grill, such as garlic shrimp:

2 comments:

Pambo said...

Sounds good - I've never been there. Don't know if I could get your dad to go.
I also like a little atmosphere when I'm eating out, but sometimes a little hole in the wall has the best food. That's how "Knotty Pine Barbeque" is/was. Talk about a dump on the west side o'town, but oh, the deliciousness of it all. Best brisket ever. And the barbeque sauce. My mouth is watering thinking about it...
Thanks for the review. Cucumber salad - sounds good to me.

Jason Osborn said...

Really the main reason we don't eat there more is the total bill, because the food is good and it makes you want it get an appetizer, entree and desert. But if you go and just get a entree the price are fair. Nice review.