March 05, 2008

Timeout

My 2008 is jam packed, man! Seriously, I already have commitments booked almost every weekend all the way through June! Baby showers, parties, graduations, guests coming to visit...all fun stuff. But, I have not had a single week that has not been filled with tons to do. That's how life is, though, always busy, and I like it that way, usually. Who wants to be bored? Not me!

This past weekend, however, I took some much needed mental health time. I signed up for a church retreat about a month ago, and I'm really glad I did. I tend to get so wrapped up in everything going on around me, and I have trouble slowing down to focus on what is important. The topic of the retreat was quiet time, something that does not easily appeal to me. I don't like to be quiet and it is hard for me to get motivated to read the Bible. The speaker talked about having a "quiet time basket," and she showed us everything she keeps in it: her Bible, a journal, devotional books, pens, bookmarks, and a hymn book (the lady liked to sing). She said it is important to have a time, a place, and a plan in order to have the best time alone with God that you can. I don't plan on putting a hymn book in my basket because that's kind of weird to me. The only thing I sing to is my steering wheel, while I rock out to the music of the 70's. I do like the basket idea, though. It was good.

On Saturday, I got to relax and enjoy a massage and a facial, courtesy of the in-laws fabulous Christmas gift to me. I knew that the massage would be awesome, but I'd never had a facial, so I was nervous about it. I stepped into a dimly lit room where soft music was playing. As I lay on the table, horrible thoughts crept through my head. I will share them with you:

The aesthetician will be a manly woman.

He/She will tell me I have terrible skin, and I will run out of the room crying.

He/She will violate me.

I will have a horrible reaction to whatever he/she puts on my face, and come out looking like a tomato.

Thankfully, none of the above came true. Let me tell you, it was heaven! Seriously, it was the most relaxing thing I have ever experienced. If she did violate me, I was too busy relaxing to notice. I felt like the aestethetician peeled off my old face with her microdermabrasion gel, and smoothed on a newer, better face with the thick, heavy cream she used. It was glorious.

2 comments:

Mandi said...

Sounds like you had a good retreat weekend, I like the basket idea too. Adds organization!! And what better way to end your retreat than at the spa!!

Annie said...

I also like the basket idea, for me its more finding a good time to consistently read my bible. I should just get up an hour before my kids do, but I get a little cranky when I don't get alot of sleep.