January 10, 2008

Soap Box

Wow, I guess mine and Jessica's last posts really parted the waters between dog lovers, and well, people who don't care so much for dogs. I hope no one's feelings got too caught up in it, as it was all in good fun.

On a more serious note, just to put it out there, I don't think dogs are for everyone, just as I don't think kids are for everyone. I know that I'm definitely not ready for a kid, as it is a huge sacrifice and responsibility. I do love kids, and I do want them someday; I just know I'm not ready yet. I know that I joke around a lot that Preston is my "baby." And, I'll continue to do so, because it's fun. All joking aside though, Preston does own a huge piece of my heart. Jason and I consider Preston a part of our family.

Owning a dog takes a lot of care and commitment. You have to feed them, walk them, groom them, train them, take them to the vet, etc. For us, though, the joy Preston has added to our lives far outweighs the responsibilities of his required daily care. We did go through a lot to get him: an application process which involved a home visit by a rescue volunteer worker to make sure we and our house were prepared for a dog, along with months of waiting for the right dog. I'm glad that the rescue is set up to "match" people with their dogs.

(Steps on soap box)
A large reason for the vast amount of existing animal rescues are that people don't do research. It's really sad for me to see people fall in love with the idea of a puppy, only to have the dog become fully grown, and the family not want it anymore because it is no longer that cute little puppy. Dogs and cats do not stay puppies and kittens forever. When they are fully grown, they deserve just as much love.

Dogs are pack animals. Since they are domesticated, they look at you, their family, as their pack leader. It is essential that a dog and his owner go to obedience school to form the understanding that you are the pack leader. Not only is this relationship defining process vital, it is also equally important that the owner continue to work with the dog his whole life. Although dogs are smart, they are much like a perpetual toddler. They only know what is repeatedly taught, and they need constant stimulation. If the dog does not have something new to learn, this is when they begin to cry for attention, chewing things up, doing things that are considered bad behavior.

There is a really great book called The Loved Dog by Tamar Geller. I would encourage anyone considering owning a dog to read it. Or, go to Southern Agriculture and talk to someone who works there. They can make recommendations for a good obedience school. Also, please research breeds. Just because you may love the "look" of a Sheltie, for example, doesn't automatically mean you are prepared for the amount of extensive grooming (aka: shedding!) that you would have to take on.

There are great benefits to owning a rescue dog. For one, what you see is what you get. Many times, rescue dogs are fully grown, housebroken, wonderful dogs. There is a huge misconception that there must be something "wrong" with the dog if it came from a rescue. Preston's previous owner simply got tired of him, took him to the vet, and asked that he be euthanized. In my book, there was something "wrong" with his previous owner, and now we're the lucky ones...it breaks my heart to even think about Preston's previous life. I'm forever thankful to that vet for his stance, and his calling Sooner Golden Retriever Rescue.

There's also nothing wrong with having your heart set on a purebred dog. Just MAKE SURE that the dog breeder is legit. If you don't, you are probably supporting a puppy mill without even realizing it. Puppy mills are horrible, illegal breeding grounds that exist for pure profit. Go to wikipedia.org and type in "puppy mill" if you want to learn more. Sadly, many pet stores attain their puppies from puppy mills.

If you have read through this entire post, I thank you for bearing with me as I was on my soap box. Animal rights have always been a very important agenda for me. I'm really passionate about the welfare of animals, especially dogs, if you couldn't tell :) I know that some people may consider me crazy, and that's fine.

4 comments:

sandybiggs said...

I did not know that about Preston! That is horrible. I don't think of pets as humans but do see ours as a part of our family, and if circumstances ever changed and we could not have them, there is no way I would just request they be put to sleep, as if taking out the trash...no big deal. Putting my dog down because she was so old and sick was one of the HARDEST things I have had to do. I know she was suffering but we kept her with us longer than most would have because I couldn't go through with it. And then we had a puppy before a week had even gone by because of the huge void she left. I'm so glad Preston has a REAL family now!

Kina said...

I completely agree with you (of course I am a dog lover). We did not do our research, and got a miniature dashchund because they are so "cute", but didn't know they were very hard to housetrain and not good with children, the two reasons we had to give her to my parents. I have always said that if we ever get a dog, we will research for the best dog, not necessarily the cutest! (but it will be after I am done having babies, so I have time for that "baby" :)

Unknown said...

Ok, so I am not a dog "lover," but I would never think it right to just kill dogs for no reason. I use to love my pet dogs as a kid. And people who love their pets and take care of them, more power to ya. I think pets should be with family who will take care of them. Since I live with a huge dog fan someday we'll get a dog and maybe I'll learn to love them again!

Stacy said...

We are huge dog lovers and aniaml lovers of all! If we could get a horse in the back yard we would!
But I have to say a day doesn't go by that I don't think about Jasmine(my miniature pincher). She was hit by car in front of my house. She was my baby!
But I agree we should do are homework on dogs and have we learned are lesson on not doing that before. We have two mini dashchund and love them!
We love your Preston maybe this summer we will take a walk and come meet him.