September 22, 2011

Bearthday Cake

My family has a tradition of getting a bear cake made for one year old birthday parties.  I thought it would be fun to continue the tradition, and since my friend who makes fabulous cakes was otherwise occupied (on maternity leave, how selfish of her ;) I decided to give it a go, and make it myself.  Eli helped, too. Of course, my friend the cake maker would have done a much better job.  But, I did end up having fun in the (chaotic) process.  We chose a brown bear to represent Eli's love for Eric Carle's "Brown Bear, Brown Bear," and I decorated the plate with his name and some anchors to go with the nautical party theme.  Here are some pictures to document our baking/non-eating experience:











E liked playing with the candle (it was a musical candle that played "Happy Birthday").  However, he refused to eat the cake.  Jason tried to give him a tiny bit of frosting, and he gagged.  I wasn't offended.  This is what Eli does with most food that isn't baby food, and he's never had sugar.  We had a wonderful first birthday with him, and I will post more about the party later.

6 comments:

Erin said...

I love it!!! Turned out so super cute, Ashlee! Now...come work for me. ;) What a special cake for a special boy!

Pambo said...

How adorable is that baby? The cake was really cute. It turned out great, but with a sweet little helper like Eli, it couldn't be bad.

Unknown said...

So cute! I think you do great on the bear. Of course you are all ready artsy so just throw baker into it as well.;)

Katie said...

It was such a great party and the bear AND the boy were adorable. Good job, Mama!

Anonymous said...

Nanny said...

I think the whole party was great, His cake was adorable, you did a great job. This past year has been so much fun. I love that Boy. You and Jason are great parents, and he is a great Son. I love him so much.

Kat said...

SO CUTE! I love the cake - it turned out very impressive.