January 25, 2009

Restaurant Review: Joe Momma's Pizza


Do you remember going to Gilligan's Island (off 61st and Hwy 169) to play putt putt and then stopping in to their quaint little pizza place next door? So goes the beginning of Joe Momma's Pizza. They gained so much popularity, that they decided to open a second store downtown off 1st and Elgin, right next door to the delicious El Guapo's.

Today, Jason and I decided give Joe Momma's a try. I think I will do a regular installment of restaurant reviews, so here is my rating scale: 1 - 5 stars, 5 being the best.

Atmosphere: 4 out of 5 stars. Joe Momma's has a smart exterior, focusing attention on an old theater style sign advertising events and carryout options. Upon entering, I was first drawn to the exposed brick wall, then led to the pretty stained concrete floor. There is currently artwork hanging by a local artist named Debbi Fritz. The work is very Jasper Johns inspired, abstract American flag paintings. There are cute red theater curtains, a multicolor stained glass mirrored background, and a chandelier set up around a stage for live music on Tuesdays and Saturdays. The kitchen is open to the restaurant patrons, so you can watch the pizza being made. My favorite part is the seating, old church pews!

Service: 1 out of 5 stars. I am sad to report that the service we received was such a disappointment. Everyone knows that downtown Tulsa is dead on Sunday afternoons. When we were seated at our table, there was one large group of 14 and a small family of 4 already there. That was it. We waited for our medium size pizza for one hour. I never expect to be in a hurry at a sit down restaurant, but one hour for one pizza is inexcusable. Did they offer a free appetizer or an apology? No, only an excuse that there was a large group ahead of us. One large group. I am curious how it works out on Fridays, when they are open til 3 am, and the restaurant is full, how they do business. Very, very disappointing. And, if you're curious, yes, we still tipped our waiter 20% because that is how we roll. It wasn't her fault the pizza took so long; she's not the cook. An apology for the incredibly long wait would have been nice, though. We were in no hurry, so hakuna matata.

Food: 3 out of 5 stars. I love pizza, and there is a good variety to choose from at Joe Momma's. The menu reminded me a little of Hideaway Pizza, with just a touch more humor and props to Tulsa. The names of the pizza are clever, especially the Natalie Portman (a vegetarian pizza). Jason and I chose a half 6 Cheese, half Sweet Heat pizza. The best part of the 6 Cheese is the feta, just the right amount. It also has Momma's red sauce, mozzarella, parmesan, romano, provolone, and cheddar cheeses. The Sweet Heat has a nice balance of flavor, mixing, ham, bacon, chicken, jalapeno, and pineapple with an alfredo sauce and mozzarella and cheddar cheese. I would have liked extra jalapenos, but I always want more jalapenos. While it wasn't the best pie I've ever tasted, it was good. I think most food would have tasted good after the wait we had.

So, if you like pizza, and you like downtown Tulsa, I would recommend trying Joe Momma's. My advice? Go on a Tuesday, when they have live music, and order an appetizer, for crying out loud. And please, try The Majestic for me while you're there, a hot apple crisp dessert...my mouth is watering just thinking about it.

7 comments:

Jason Osborn said...

It was good pizza but not great pizza I would go for Arris or Andolinis.

Pambo said...

Mmmm, Andolini's. I also like Arris, but Andolini's crust is definitely better. When I played bunco with the Broken Arrow girls, we had pizza from a place in Bixby called Savastano's. It was Chicago style and man, it was delicious! I usually prefer thin crust, but every once in a while, you have to have some super deep pan. Yum. I like the restaurant review. Good idea.

Anonymous said...

Pam, everyone at the zoo raves about Savastano's pizza. I heard about it every single day at work. I have yet to try it.

I still prefer Little Caesar's $5 sausage or Canadian bacon pizzas. Nate things LC's is gross, but that's the only pizza I like.

Does anyone remember Crystal's Pizza at 21st and Sheridan, by Casa Bonita? I LOVED that place when I was a kid. Their movie room and game room was awesome. They also served cheese dip with their pizza for dipping. That was the best part. No one else that I know of serves cheese dip with their pizza. They should. Everything's better with cheese dip.
:)

Pambo said...

Oh, how I mourn Crystal's Pizza. Their canadian bacon was the best pizza. I don't even like canadian bacon, but their pizza was so good. And you're right, everyone should have cheese sauce for dipping your pizza in.

Jennifer Walker said...

Crystal's was the best. The pizza wasn't as memorable as the Sundae Bar though. I loved going there for my Birthday and eating in the theatre room.

Erin said...

Hmm, that does seem like poor service. I've never been there, but I'd still give it a try, especially for some live music and the atmosphere.

Taylor and Jessica Hagan said...

Great info, Ashlee! And always fun to read too! I have a request. You are very cultured and fun and like to try new things..Soooo...maybe you could review or at least give your readers ideas of some of the fun things to DO in this area...people like me always need ideas of stuff to DO, like for dates or a day out(b/c it seems I can only think of places to eat). What great ideas does someone cultured and fun like you have?